A photoblog devoted to beautiful girls, incredible poses and forgettable text. Yeah, just like Playboy. Only with Taekwondo.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

HIGH EXPECTATIONS





When I was a kid, I was constantly overdoing it, and I was often reprimanded for this. I don't know if times have already changed or it's just chance, but nowadays kids look to me like they're afraid of trying. Everything seems hard to them, almost impossible. They don't think they're up to the challenge, they don't think they're good enough to compete, they think splits are for dancers and flying kicks for supermen. Their athletic expectations are low, and so are their kicks. <<I can't>>, they keep saying. Thus, not only they have to be taught how to kick high, but how to dream big.
In Poomsae, "very high" has become the standard. The higher you kick, the more you score. Now it's not about being dangerous, it's about embodying a kind of sky-defying Babel-like spirit. Yes, something like <<These are my kicks! Can anyone get higher?>>. Freezing your side kick far over your head is like placing your own flag on top of Mount Everest. This is not combat. You don't need to be effective. You need to be stellar. So raise your feet from the ground, kids, because taekwondo isn't just meant to take you far. It's meant to take you high.

DOWNLOAD WALLPAPER  |  HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment